Monument record MCC546 - Post-Boudican Roman, Balkerne Hill, Colchester

Summary

Post-Boudican Roman building (CAT Building 50) discovered at Balkerne Lane during excavations between 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99193 25151 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman building (CAT Building 50) dated to between 60/61 AD and c.AD 150 was discovered fronting onto the main street (MCC475). Very little is known about the building except that it was probably a strip-house similar in construction to MCC543, MCC544 and MCC545. Various shallow slots and a plinth of mortared tile fragments point to the position of framed walls.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.119.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 18 2016 8:05AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.