Monument record MCC545 - Post-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99192 25147 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman building (CAT Building 49) dated to between 60/61 AD and c.AD 150 was discovered fronting onto the main street (MCC475). Very little is known about the building except that it was probably a strip-house similar in construction to MCC543 and MCC544. A roughly north-south daub wall probably formed a party wall between this building and the one to the south-west (MCC544) and a decayed ground plate and various shallow slots point to the position of framed walls.
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.119.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2016 8:05AM