Monument record MCC544 - Post-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester

Summary

Post-Boudican Roman building (CAT Building 48) discovered at Balkerne Hill during excavations in 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99184 25141 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman building (CAT Building 48) dated to between 60/61 AD and c.AD 150 was discovered fronting onto the main street (MCC475). Very little is known about the building except that it was probably a strip-house similar in construction to MCC543. A roughly north-south daub wall probably formed a party wall between this building and the one to the north-east (MCC545). and various shallow slots point to the position of framed walls. A baby burial was found near the east wall of the building (see MCC592).<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.119.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 18 2016 8:05AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.