Element record MCC538 - Roman timber-lined water main, Balkerne Hill, Colchester

Summary

Roman timber-lined water main discovered during excavations along Balkerne Lane in 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99214 25171 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman timber-lined water main dated to the early years of the Colonia was discovered. The main clearly sealed the backfilled ditch (MCC478) of the abandoned Legionary fortress and was sealed by the floors of several buildings (MCC493, MCC494-MCC496). It ran south-west to north-east and was dug up after the destruction of the Boudican revolt, partly because the course of the later town ditch (MCC539) cut across the line of the main. Some of the timber pipes which formed the main were removed at this time.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.103, p.115.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 14 2016 9:55AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.