Monument record MCC517 - Pre-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99200 25093 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (3)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332), a Roman building (CAT Building 46) dated to the early years of the Colonia was discovered. The building was one of a group of three or more building structures (see MCC499, MCC516) which were aligned east-west and fronted onto the former via sagularis (MCC479) of the abandoned Legionary fortress.
Three discrete areas were discernable of which two were rooms and one of which was external. Structural remains included a daub floor and decayed wattles from the stake-and-wattle walls. One room had a hearth in its centre. The external area was lightly gravelled and may have served as a yard.
The remains of the building were difficult to interpret and may have been parts of two strip-houses rather than one. To the west of the building were two boundary ditches (MCC540 and MCC541) which seem to have served as a boundary for the plot which the building was situated in.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.107-108.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2016 11:05AM