Monument record MCC516 - Pre-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99197 25104 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman building (CAT Building 45) dated to the early years of the Colonia was discovered. The building was one of a group of three or more building structures (see MCC499, MCC517) which were aligned east-west and fronted onto the former Via Sagularis (MCC479) of the abandoned Legionary fortress.
The part of the building uncovered consisted of two ranges of rooms side by side containing six or seven rooms. Only part of a single room was available for excavation. All that remained included a small oven, daub floor as the superstructure had been cleared away following the Boudican destruction. Elsewhere the walls appeared to have been mainly of the stake-and-wattle kind although a collapsed daub wall reinforced with tile fragments was discovered and another wall appeared to have been constructed of posts set into a single trench.
One room contained deposits of burnt cereals and many fragments of burnt timber (see ECC1869). Other evidence pointed to this room having been a two storied granary.
The structural remains may have belonged to two strip-houses.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p93-154.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 18 2016 8:03AM