Monument record MCC4991 - Wormingford WWII Airfield - No.4 Dispersed Site, Fordham
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9406 3022 (180m by 279m)|
|Civil Parish||FORDHAM, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
|Civil Parish||WORMINGFORD, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
1996: No.4 Dispersed site associated with the WWII airfield; no longer extant.<1><2> Aerial photos <3><4>.
March 2006: An Air Ministry plan of Wormingford Airfield and its Dispersed Sites dated May 1945, shows Dispersed Site No. 4 as having 44 buildings and other structures.<5>
This site, on the S. side of Packards Lane, has been completely cleared and is now open fields.
See also <6> & <7>.
- <1> SEX59887 DESC TEXT: Bowyer, Michael J. 1979. Action Stations: Military Airfields of East Anglia Vol.1.
- <2> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <3> SEX60854 AP: unknown. 1944. US-7PH-GP-LOC186-5045.
- <4> SEX60855 AP: Essex County Council. 1990. 30-4703, 30-4704, 30-4705.
- <5> SEX67609 Map: Air Ministry. 1945. Wormingford Record Site Plan. May 1945.
- <6> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <7> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 3:32PM