Monument record MCC499 - Pre-Boudican Roman building, Balkerne Hill, Colchester

Summary

Pre-Boudican Roman building discovered at the Balkerne Lane excavations in 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99206 25113 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (6)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman building (CAT Building 44) dated to the early years of the Colonia was discovered. The building was one of a group of three or more building structures (see MCC516 and MCC517) which were aligned east-west and fronted onto the former Via Sigularis (MCC479) of the abandoned Legionary fortress.

The walls of the building were almost exclusively of stake-and-wattle type, as evidenced by the collapsed northern wall of the building, with the exception of one room which had a wall built of round posts dropped into a single trench. Other structural remains included daub floors and two ovens, a large pit, and a hearth. A gravelled area to north of the building was probably a yard.

The building was extensively burnt during the Boudican revolt.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.93-154.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 14 2016 9:52AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.