Monument record MCC4988 - Wormingford WWII Airfield - No. 8 Quarters Site, Wormingford
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9346 3056 (243m by 319m)|
|Civil Parish||WORMINGFORD, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
1996: Ancillary site associated with the WWII airfield.
March 2006: An Air Ministry plan of Wormingford Airfield and its Dispersed Sites, dated May 1945, shows Dispersed Site No. 8 as having 22 buildings and other structures.<5>
The area, on the N side of Packards Lane, is now an industrial works. Little, if anything survives of the wartime site, perhaps one or two buildings in the N corner. On the S side of the road within the same dispersed site, the hard standing of the Fuel Compound is still extant on waste ground.
Two photos of site.<6>
See also <7> & <8>.
- <1> SEX59887 DESC TEXT: Bowyer, Michael J. 1979. Action Stations: Military Airfields of East Anglia Vol.1.
- <2> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <3> SEX60854 AP: unknown. 1944. US-7PH-GP-LOC186-5045.
- <4> SEX60855 AP: Essex County Council. 1990. 30-4703, 30-4704, 30-4705.
- <5> SEX67609 Map: Air Ministry. 1945. Wormingford Record Site Plan. May 1945.
- <6> SEX67612 Photograph: Nash, Fred. 2006. No 8 Dispersed Site, Wormingford Airfield. 2 frames, Mar 2006.
- <7> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <8> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 3:30PM