Monument record MCC497 - Roman building, Balkerne Lane, Colchester

Summary

Roman building (CAT Building 43) discovered during excavations at Balkerne Lane, 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99217 25164 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332), a Roman building (CAT Building 43), dated to the early years of the Colonia, was discovered which fronted onto the former Via Sagularis (MCC479) of the abandoned Legionary fortress. Only the rear of the building was examined.

Much of the buildings remains had been destroyed by 19th century terracing so that no evidence for destruction during the Boudican revolt survived. The building was aligned north-south and structural remains included slots for ground-plates, an oven and a large, shallow plank-lined trough or pit.

The western-most part of the building was cut by the post-Boudican, defensive, town ditch (MCC539).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.105.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 17 2016 11:12AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.