Monument record MCC496 - Roman strip-house, Balkerne Lane, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99193 25153 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During the excavations at Balkerne Lane between 1973-6 (ECC332) a Roman strip-house (CAT Building 42) was discovered. This was one of several buildings (MCC493, MCC494, MCC495) of similar type built along a common frontage outside the west gate of the abandoned Legionary fortress during the early years of the Colonia. It is not clear how far back from the frontage the building extended.
The building had floors and walls of daub. The buildings plan remains unclear as little survived the destruction of the Boudican revolt and subsequent truncation during construction of the town ditch.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.103-105.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2016 11:11AM