Monument record MCC4918 - The Old House, Old House Road, Great Horkesley.
|Grid reference||TL 9745 3000 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT HORKESLEY, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
During renovation to the Grade II listed barn, dated to c.1700AD a pottery assemblage was discovered. Located beneath the ENE end of the barn, a fired kiln deposit within a square cut was revealed, possibly representing the remains of a kiln site. A well was also discovered adjacent to the "Kiln Area". Colchester museum dated the pottery to c.1350 AD onwards and some post medieval sherds were within the assemblage, beneath the barn, the remains of a flint rubble wall foundation alligned West - East were also discovered. It is possible that a pottery kiln was located on the site prior to the barn land (and possibly also the wuse?) being constructed. <1>.
- <1> SEX60160 DESC TEXT: Gibson, S. 1997. No title.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 3 2015 11:41AM