Monument record MCC4886 - Birch WWII Airfield - Dispersed Site No. 7, Messing-cum-Inworth
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9036 1871 (196m by 124m)|
|Civil Parish||MESSING-CUM-INWORTH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
1996: Dispersed site associated with WW2 airfield; no longer extant.<1> - <4>
May 2006: An Air Ministry plan of Birch Airfield and its Dispersed Sites, dated November 1944, shows Dispersed Site No. 7 as comprising 39 buildings and other structures. The site is now an open field with nothing surviving.<5>
See also <6> & <7>.
- <1> SEX38698 DESC TEXT: Freeman, R. 1978. Airfields of the Eighth.
- <2> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <3> SEX59898 AP: unknown. 1960. Birch WW2 airfield - dispersed sites.
- <4> SEX59899 AP: unknown. 1990. Birch WW2 Airfield Dispersed sites.
- <5> SEX67616 Map: Air Ministry. 1944. Birch Airfield Record Site Plan. Dispersed Sites Nos. 2-14.
- <6> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <7> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 2:38PM