Monument record MCC4885 - Birch WWII Airfield - No. 6 Dispersed Site, Messing-cum-Inworth
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9017 1881 (181m by 289m)|
|Civil Parish||MESSING-CUM-INWORTH, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
1996: Dispersed site associated with WW2 airfield; no longer extant.<1><2>
May 2006: An Air Ministry plan of Birch Airfield and its Dispersed Sites, dated November 1944, shows Dispersed Site No 6 as comprising 31 buildings, and other structures. The site, NE of Harborough Hall Lane, is now an open field with just one feature remaining. This is a concrete base with brick sides, apparently an “M and E Plinth” according to the plan. One photo taken of site.<5><6>
See also <7> & <8>.
- <1> SEX38698 DESC TEXT: Freeman, R. 1978. Airfields of the Eighth. p.261, p.305.
- <2> SEX59861 DESC TEXT: Thorpe, Simon. 1996. Military Airfields in Essex during WWII.
- <3> SEX59898 AP: unknown. 1960. Birch WW2 airfield - dispersed sites.
- <4> SEX59899 AP: unknown. 1990. Birch WW2 Airfield Dispersed sites.
- <5> SEX67616 Map: Air Ministry. 1944. Birch Airfield Record Site Plan. Dispersed Sites No. 2-14.
- <6> SEX67645 Photograph: Nash, Fred. 2006. Birch WWII Airfield – No 6 Dispersed Site. 1 frame, May 2006.
- <7> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <8> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2020 2:37PM