Monument record MCC486 - Roman building and industrial activity at Balkerne Lane, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99211 25180 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332), the remains of at least one multi-phase Roman building (CAT Building 37) were discovered which encroached onto the south side of the street (MCC475).
The remains of the structure, or structures, consisted of wall slots, daub floors, unplastered wattle and daub walls and an area of decayed wattles and stake holes which probably represented the demolished remains of earlier phases of the structure (s).
Occupation debris associated with this and other buildings (MCC484 - MCC486) was characterised by a rapid rate of accumulation and high proportion of sand and charcoal containing much slag and hammer-scale which suggests widespread ironworking in the area. At least two rooms were identifiable one of which contained a hearth. South of this were two areas of sand and charcoal one of which contained a evidence for a forging hearth. Other areas of occupation debris also contained much charcoal and slag indicative of iron-working activity.
The fact that the building MCC486 encroached onto the military street combined with the associated interference with the fortress ditch (see MCC734 and MCC478) suggests that it wasn't in use until after the military abandonment of the fortress.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. pp.101-102.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2016 11:17AM