Monument record MCC485 - Roman building and industrial activity at Balkerne Lane, Colchester

Summary

Roman building (CAT Building 36) and industrial activity discovered during excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6.

Location

Grid reference TL 99191 25158 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE
1848 Parish ST PETER
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332), the remains of at least one insubstantial Roman building (CAT Building 36) were discovered fronting onto the south side of the street (MCC475).

The remains of the structure, or structures, consisted of scatters of stake holes and a few small pits together with associated occupation debris on the ground surface.

Occupation debris associated with this and other buildings (MCC483, MCC484 and MCC486) was characterised by a rapid rate of accumulation and high proportion of sand and charcoal containing much slag and hammer-scale which suggests widespread ironworking in the area. However the precise nature of this structure could not be established on the basis of the limited excavation of the associated levels.

This building's spatial and functional relationships with MCC486 suggest that its use may have taken place after the military abandonment of the fortress.<1>

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.93, p.99.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 17 2016 11:17AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.