Monument record MCC483 - Roman building and industrial activity, Balkerne Lane, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99177 25148 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST PETER|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
During excavations at Balkerne Lane in 1973-6 (ECC332), the remains of at least one insubstantial Roman building (CAT Building 34) were discovered fronting onto the south side of the street (MCC475).
The remains of the structure, or structures, consisted of slots, stake holes, small pits and a patch of gravel together with associated occupation debris on the ground surface. The remains were interpreted as a building partly on the basis of their relationships to the plot boundaries of later periods of occupation on the site.
Occupation debris associated with this and other buildings (MCC484 - MCC486) was characterised by a rapid rate of accumulation and high proportion of sand and charcoal containing much slag and hammer-scale which suggests widespread ironworking in the area. This building's spatial and functional relationships with MCC486 suggest that its use may have taken place after the military abandonment of the fortress.<1>
- <1> SCC100 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 3: Excavations at Lion Walk, Balkerne Lane and Middleborough, Colchester, Essex. 3. p.93, p.99.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2016 11:18AM