Monument record MCC459 - St Giles's Churchyard, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99809 24811 (64m by 31m)|
|1848 Parish||ST GILES|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The origins of the churchyard presumably date to the foundation of the church, erected sometime between 1133 and 1165-71, on made ground in the northern part of the abbey precinct of St John's Abbey and in an area already used as a cemetery for the abbey.<4>
The RCHME recorded in 1922 that 'the churchyard has incorporated in the north and east walls many worked stones from the abbey, including several portions of an interesting wall arcade of the C12'.<1>
Rodwell and Rodwell (1977) record, the graveyard has been totally cleared without recording and in 1973 was subject to a drastic bulldozing operation.<2>
The graveyard was bounded on its eastern and southern sides by a wall of two phases. The wall, rebuilt above ground in red brick, had originally been of re-used stone presumably from monastic buildings demolished in the mid 16th century or later. Several burials appeared to be sealed by the wall suggesting that, post dissolution of the monastery, the churchyard was reduced in size and partitioned from the abbey precinct (i.e. so that the church was originally within the abbey precinct).<3>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. No 9.
- <2> SCC69 Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.35.
- <3> SCC106 Serial: Crummy, Philip. 1993. CAR 9:Excavations of Roman and later cemeteries, churches and monastic sites in Colchester, 1971-8. 9. p.221.
- <4> SCC72824 Monograph: Gascoyne, Adrian and Radford, David. 2013. Colchester. Fortress of the War God. An Archaeological Assessment. pp.228-229.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Construction of car park at St Giles' Church, Colchester, 1973 (Ref: ECC1132) (ECC1132)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation in St Giles Church, Colchester, 1975 (Ref: ECC392) (ECC392)
- Event - Survey: Nordens Map of Colchester, 1610 (Ref: ECC1807) (ECC1807)
- Event - Survey: Plan De Colchester, 1650 (Ref: ECC1806) (ECC1806)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2016 10:12AM