Monument record MCC4095 - WWII Ammunition Shelter (destroyed), behind Rose Inn, Peldon
|Grid reference||TM 0064 1592 (point)|
|Civil Parish||PELDON, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Contemporary records state, “Ammunition Shelter. Land at rear of The Rose Inn, Peldon. Map ref. 454343”. (Mil. Ed.) <1>
The Rose public house stands on the corner of Mersea Road and Colchester Road behind a triangle of grass. An aerial photograph taken in April 1946 shows a tract of land immediately behind it with a small structure in the middle, too indistinct to be truly identifiable.<2>
A second entry in the records lists “sandbagged defence post with trench” on the triangular plot in front of the inn and given that both entries are dated 23/10/40, the only two of that date in the Peldon records, it is clear that the ammunition shelter was built to accommodate the needs of the defence post in front of the inn.
Nothing of these structures now survives.
See also <3> & <4>.
- <1> SEX31436 LIST: unknown. 1968. War Time Contraventions 1968. Peldon.
- <2> SEX61494 AP: RAF. 1946. 106G-UK 1367-5137. April 1946.
- <3> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <4> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 18 2020 9:50AM