Monument record MCC407 - St Nicholas' Churchyard, High Street, Colchester

Summary

Medieval graveyard. The Church (MCC406), with which it is associated, dates from the 12th century or earlier (although it was rebuilt in the late 19th century).

Location

Grid reference Centred TL 99787 25186 (38m by 41m)
Map sheet TL92NE
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Churchyard of St Nicholas. Now demolished (along with the Church) except for small garden containing tombstones to the rear of St Nicholas' House.

Wire notes in his diary, 'The clerk of St. Nicholas observed that in digging graves there it was not uncommon thing to meet with a foundation corresponding to the town wall and which appeared to run N-S. He then named the circumstances that when digging the grave for Mr Gentry it was originally intended to be nine feet deep, but...a lodgement was made in it for the coffin.. it appears to be part of a Roman house'.<1><2>

Engraving print of St Nicholas Church, showing ruins of church from graveyard side (North facing view). <3>

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> DIARY: Wire, William. 1842-1857. Journal of William Wire. 23/12/1842.
  • <2> Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Ins 29, No 61, p.202.
  • <3> COLLECTION / PARENT: Greig, J (Mr). 1824. Engraving prints by J. Greig. COLEM1993.32.8.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (5)

Record last edited

Aug 15 2018 12:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.