Monument record MCC4068 - WWII Ammunition Shelter (destroyed), 'Sheepen Hill Estate', Lexden, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9818 2529 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Contemporary records state, "Apron Wiring, section posts and M.G. posts, tubular scaffolding, ammunition shelters. O.S. No. 651, 652, 496, 497, etc., Sheepen Hill Estate. Map ref. 434438" (Mil. Ed.) <1>
One of the ammunition shelters can be seen on aerial photographs taken in May 1946 and May 1948 standing just a few yards E of the extant pillbox on the hilltop (SMR 10934/MCC4759). This is the southern boundary of Hilly Fields nature area. The shelter can be seen to have been a 'nissen-type' with a curved roof. Nothing of it now remains.<2><3>
See also <4> & <5>.
- <1> SEX31436 LIST: unknown. 1968. War Time Contraventions 1968. Colchester.
- <2> SEX64118 AP: RAF. 1946. 106G-UK 1492-4275. May 1946.
- <3> SEX64116 AP: RAF. 1948. 58-47-5236. May 1948.
- <4> SCC74374 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 1. Volume 1.
- <5> SCC74375 Unpublished document: Nash, Fred. 2007. SURVEY OF WORLD WAR TWO DEFENCES IN THE BOROUGH OF COLCHESTER. VOLUME 2. Volume 2.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2020 9:38AM