Building record MCC3524 - North Bridge, North Station Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 9936 2565 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Road bridge. Plaque on west side shows that it was erected in 1843 when R R Dunn, MD was mayor and a plaque on the east side commemorates the widening of the bridge by 17 feet 6 inches by Henry H Elves, JP, Mayor on 22 October 1903. Cast iron bridge on substructure of brown brick in flemish bond having 3 piers with pointed stone cutwaters. Three cambered cast iron arches with blank spandrels and cast iron balustrading above of 11 sections with arched pattern and buttresses. There are 2 dividing cast iron piers and the ends have cemented brick piers with tooled stone coping. East side has attached flight of stone steps to riverside path with ornamental footscraper and handrail. Approaches to the bridge have cemented revetments with stone coping and cast iron railings. <1>.
- <1> SEX9005 DESC TEXT: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Colchester Borough.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2017 9:39AM