Monument record MCC3141 - Wormingford Airfield Memorial, Wormingford
|Grid reference||TL 93 30 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WORMINGFORD, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A memorial located opposite Jenkins Farm on the west side, and in the verge, of Fordham Road to commemorate the airmen operating from Wormingford in WWII (MCC4741).<1>
A plaque on the memorial records that it was decidated on 24 May 1992 by the 362nd Fighter Group Association. As well as this plaque, there is also a plaque to the 378th Fighter Squadron and also to the Group Headquarters.
Wormingford Airfield was originally an Royal Flying Corps Landing Ground during WWI which was rebuilt as an USAAF bomber base during WWII. In 1947 the airfield was surrendered, and in the 1960s the hangars and other buildings were auctioned off and the land returned to farming. The plan of the airfield survives in the perimeter track and two runways, while the third runway is partially visible as a cropmark. A small section of runway is used by a glider Club. The concrete base of Hangar 2 on the northern edge of the airfield still survives, as do two dispersal loops at Fairlands Farm.
- <1> SCC1126 Photograph: Tipper, J.. 2015. Digital photographs of Wormingford WWII memorial.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 10 2017 10:30AM