Element Group record MCC2834 - Anglo Saxon pit at St Nicholas Church, High Street, Colchester

Summary

A group of sherds of Thetford-type ware found in a pit on the site of St Nicholas Church in 1955.

Location

Grid reference TL 99788 25194 (point) (Approximate)
Map sheet TL92NE
County ESSEX
Non Parish Area COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

A group of nine fairly large sherds of Thetford-type wares was found in a pit on the site of the Church in 1955. The apparent absence of early medieval sandy ware points to a date in the 10th or early 11th century. It is very rare for Thetford-type wares to occur in contexts that do not also contain early medieval sandy ware (or later wares). The two wares must have been contemporary for a time, as early medieval sandy ware probably appears in Colchester c.1025-1050, but it is difficult to determine to what degree the Thetford-type wares are residual in these contexts.<1>

A square, timber-lined pit recorded beneath the chancel and dated to the 10th or early 11th century may have been liturgical.<2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Serial: Cotter, J. P. 2000. CAR 7:Post-Roman pottery from excavations in Colchester 1971-85. CAR 7, p.31.
  • <2> Monograph: Rodwell, Warwick J with Rodwell, KA. 1977. Historic Churches: a wasting asset. p.31.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Dec 20 2016 8:25AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.