Monument record MCC2403 - Anglo-Saxon? Church Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99341 25117 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
An early reference to 'St Mary's Lane' in 1207, now Church Street.<1><2>
Presuming late Saxon Origins for St Mary's Church then some kind of track must have run from Head Street at this time, however the current alignment is curious, as it kinks south to meet the church. Church walk, to the south, may therefore be the earlier, given it's rough alignment with Sir Isaac's Walk.
The church , near the western postern in the town wall, lay within the soke acquired by the bishop of London between 998 and 1066 and was recorded in 1206.<7>
- <1> SCC45 Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. p.79.
- <2> SCC323 Monograph: Kirk, R.E.G. (Ed). 1899-1928. Feet of Fines for Essex. 1,39 (1207).
- <3> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.324.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2016 9:47AM