Monument record MCC2296 - Corn Mill, north of Lexden Bridge, Colchester


Medieval watermill, north of Lexden Bridge.


Grid reference TL 97295 25710 (point)
Map sheet TL92NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Thomas Godstone may have built a mill north of Lexden Bridge in 1403. It was in existence by 1431. From the late 15th century to 1719 the two mills (Lexden Mill and this one) were farmed together, and was described as the great or undershot corn mill. From 1719 the mills seem to have been farmed separately. The great or undershot mill remained a corn mill until c.1830 when it became an oil mill which was occupied by the Chaplin family until it burnt down in 1878.<1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Cartographic materials: Chapman, John and Andre, Peter. 1777. Map of Essex.
  • <2> Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. pp.397-398.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 26 2016 3:47PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.