Monument record MCC2282 - St Anne's Holy Well, Harwich Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 01144 25416 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A well of apparent medieval date associated with St Anne's Chapel on Harwich Road. The well was re-opened in 1844 and sealed again in 1900.<1><2> See also MCC420
Probable medieval well, known as the 'Holly Well', originally linked with a hermitage. The well was re-opened in 1844 according to a plaque near to it. According to the OS card it was covered and cemented by 1950 and is located in the parlour of 39 Harwich Road.<3><4>
- <1> SCC19 Monograph: Cooper, Janet (Ed). 1994. Vol. IX, The Borough of Colchester, A History of the County of Essex. Volume IX. p.20.
- <2> SCC604 Photograph: Unknown. 1897. St Anne's Holy Well, Harwich Road. black & white print.
- <3> SCC254 Index: Ordnance Survey. 1876. Ordnance Survey Cards. TMO2NW4.
- <4> SCC88 Monograph: Cromwell, Thomas. 1825. History and description of the ancient town and Borough of Colchester in Essex. p.214, Vol 1.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2016 3:38PM