Find Spot record MCC1939 - Late Neolithic / Bronze Age beaker, Flagstaff Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99655 24693 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A late Neolithic / Bronze Age beaker was found in Flagstaff Road when a gas main was laid along the western footpath, south of St John's Green in January 1930.<1><2><3>
Classified by D.L. Clarke (1970) S2 (E) British Cylindrical Neck Eastern according to SMR.<4> The find spot is marked on a 1938 OS map held in the Museum.<5><6>
This is the same as MCC8161.
- <1> SCC133 LIST: Colchester Museums. Colchester Museum Accession Register 1930-1940. COLEM1930.85.
- <2> SCC146 Serial: Colchester Museums. 1933. Colchester Museum Reports 1925-1933. 1925-1933. 1931. Plate No 3.
- <3> SCC258 Article in serial: Hull, M. R.. 1946. Five Bronze Age Beakers from North-East Essex. The Antiquaries Journal, Volume 25, Issue 1-2, pp.67-69. pp.67-68.
- <4> SCC226 Index: Essex County Council. 1972. Colchester SMR (computer). 12618.
- <5> SCC553 Cartographic materials: Ordnance Survey. 1938. Map of Essex 6" to 1 mile, OS 1938.
- <6> SCC254 Index: Ordnance Survey. 1876. Ordnance Survey Cards. TL92SE31.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 21 2017 3:37PM