Monument record MCC1897 - Roman walled cemetery at the Royal Grammar School, Lexden Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 98694 24848 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A Roman 'walled cemetery' adjacent and parallel to the main London to Colchester Road (see MCC1928). The enclosure and its contents were excavated by A.F. Hall in 1939 (ECC829). Nine internments were recovered which dated from the second or early third centuries. These were cremations. A further five internments dated to the later third and early fourth centuries were all inhumations. The walls of the cemetery were built of stone and were 2 ft. 6 in. wide. They had been partly robbed for stone. Internally the enclosure measured 38ft. by 27ft. It had a bay which jutted inward from the middle of its south side. This was the 'emplacment for a heavy monument'.<1><2> See Hull's Grave Group 593-606: one of the urns is dated by Hull as Claudian-Neronian (CAM form 266).<3>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.254.
- <2> SCC581 Article in serial: Hall, A.F.. 1944. A Roman Walled Cemetery at Colchester. The Archaeological Journal 101, pp.68-90. p.68.
- <3> SCC207 Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Unknown. Inventory of Grave Groups. No. 593-606.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 13 2016 1:51PM