Building record MCC15 - The Queen's Head Inn, Hythe Hill, Colchester
|Grid reference||TM 01363 24681 (point)|
|1848 Parish||ST LEONARD|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
Much altered C16 building, 2 storeys the roofs tiled. The upper storey projects on the north front and there are 2 original curved brackets springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals. Modern plaster work and ground floor brick front. Interior has heavy original ceiling beam with curious mouldings.<1>
Built in early in the 16th-century but has recently been much altered and restored. The upper storey projects on the N. front and rests on two original curved brackets springing from the attached shafts with moulded capitals. Inside the building is a heavy original ceiling-beam with curious mouldings.<2>
A newspaper article in 1982 announced the closing of this pub. It was an ancient pub dating at least from 1764 and probably well before that. After it closed as a public house it became a shop premises.<3>
A piece of clay walling (Noggin) formed by tying together a number of split branches of oak and plastering with clay mixed with fine grass; a piece of ceiling plaster large quality of bullock or horse hair and two rafters of 16th century date, were recovered from the Queens Head Inn, Hythe Hill. COLEM 1911.2350-52.<4>
- <1> SCC4 LIST: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Colchester (Essex). p.69.
- <2> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. p.67.
- <3> SCC12 Monograph: Jephcott, Jess. A. 1995. The Inns, Taverns and Pubs of Colchester. p.210.
- <4> SCC130 LIST: Colchester Museums. 1898-1912. Colchester Museum Accession Register 1898-1912. COLEM 1911.2350-52.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: 1876 (1:500) Ordnance Survey map of Colchester, 1876 (Ref: ECC40) (ECC40)
- Event - Intervention: Clay walling and ceiling plaster from Queens Head, Colchester, 1911 (Ref: ECC2274) (ECC2274)
- Event - Survey: DOE Listing of The Queen's Head Inn, Colchester, 1971 (Ref: ECC25) (ECC25)
- Event - Survey: RCHME survey of Queen's Head, Hythe Hill, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC15) (ECC15)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2017 1:05PM