Monument record MCC142 - 12-24 North Station Road, Colchester (site of)
|Grid reference||TL 99333 25781 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
The 1922 survey recorded a range of seven tenements which it dated as early 18th century.<1>
Photograph's showing the demolition of tenements north of the Victoria Inn (No's 12-24 North Station Road). The RCHME has these dated as 18th century however a report in the TEAS records them as 16th century.<2>
Excavations took place on a site, in 1965, believed to have been occupied by a substantial, Roman masonry house. The investigation followed the demolition of three 16th century cottages next to the Victoria Inn.<3>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. No 250.
- <2> SCC420 Photograph: Unknown. Demolition of 'Weavers House'. B/W Prints.
- <3> SCC73042 Article in serial: Dunnett, B.R.K.. 1971. Excavations in Colchester, 1964-8. Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society Vol. 3, Part 1. pp.92-94.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: 1876 (1:500) Ordnance Survey map of Colchester, 1876 (Ref: ECC40) (ECC40)
- Event - Interpretation: Demolition of 'Weavers House', North Station Road, Colchester (Ref: ECC2091) (ECC2091)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation at the Victoria Inn Site, Colchester, 1965 (Ref: ECC664) (ECC664)
- Event - Survey: Survey of 12-24 North Station Road, Colchester, 1922 (Ref: ECC2176) (ECC2176)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2017 9:07AM