Element record MCC1357 - Roman lead coffin, Creffield Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 98707 24697 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (2)
Lead coffin found in Creffield Road 1887.<1> A lead coffin was found by workmen digging post-holes on the west side of the houses on the south side of Creffield Road, on Mr Lee's premises. Relates to Hull's Grave Group 349.<2><3><4> A small glass lachrymatory and a jar of grey ware of form 268B was found within the coffin with some decayed bones.
In an article on a distinctive Roman pipe-burial at Caerleon, Gwent, Wheeler refers to the burial in Creffield Road, which also had coffin lid with a lead pipe extending from it.<5>
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M.R.. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p.293 No19.
- <2> SCC207 Unpublished document: Hull, M. Rex. Unknown. Inventory of Grave Groups. Grave Group 349.
- <3> SCC226 Index: Essex County Council. 1972. Colchester SMR (computer). SMR13183.
- <4> SCC127 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1889. Vol. 3 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. III. p.273.
- <5> SCC571 Article in serial: Wheeler, R. E. M.. 1929. A Roman Pipe-burial from Caerleon, Monmouthshire. Antiquaries Journal Vol. IX, January 1929, Issue 1, pp.1-7. p.3.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 6 2020 11:10AM