Element record MCC1093 - Roman tessellated pavement, Osborne Street, Colchester
|Grid reference||TL 99905 24906 (point)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
A Roman pavement was found at a depth of 11ft from the surface in Osborne Street during the making of a sewer in January 1903. It was opposite the corner shop (Greenwood's, Butcher) on St Botolph's Street. Though possibly belonging to the same house as ECC391. See COLEM 1904.828.<1><2><3><4><5>
- <1> SCC3 Monograph: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. 1922. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England): Essex, (North-East). Volume III. 12.
- <2> SCC105 Serial: 1880-1915. The Antiquary. xxxix, 65.
- <3> SCC107 Serial: Daily Graphic. 7/2/1903.
- <4> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. No 178, p.244.
- <5> SCC126 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1909. Vol. 10 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. X (New Series). p.88.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2017 9:01AM