Element record MCC1052 - Roman mosaic, near Victoria Inn, North Station Road, Colchester
|Grid reference||Centred TL 99309 25770 (1m by 0m)|
|Non Parish Area||COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX|
Type and Period (1)
In January 1880 when digging foundations for buildings at the back of the Victoria Inn, NW of North Bridge, a tessellated pavement was found at a depth of about 2.5ft (although it is described as a tessellated pavement the diagram shows clearly that it is a mosaic pavement). It appeared to be of considerable extent, but ran under the roadway and some buildings, so its full extent could not be ascertained. An illustration of the pavement has been published, along with a location plan.<1><2><3>
It is possible that this mosaic belonged to a substantial courtyard building discovered further to the east (see MCC1260).
- <1> SCC48 Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Nos 82-6, pp.240-241.
- <2> SCC243 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1884. Vol. 2 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. II (New Series). p.189.
- <3> SCC127 Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1889. Vol. 3 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. III. p.129.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2016 2:42PM