The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
P.G. Laver notes in his diary 'When laying a water main along the west side of Fitzwalter Road a cambered road of gravel was revealed opposite Mr D.W.Clarke's House. It lay 2ft 6" below the surface and was 18ft wide. The centre line (of the part exposed) was 15ft S of the boundary wall between Messrs Lazell and Clarke. The subsoil was gravel' <1><2> Lazell was the owner of 6 Fitzwalter Road and Clarke the owner of 8 Fitzwalter Road according to Kelly's Directory of Essex 1937.
Note that the location is likely to be located further to the north, based on Laver's description (that the central line was c.4.70m S of the boundary wall of 5 Fitzwalter Road) on the line of the project Roman road (MCC1928).
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.