The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
DOE survey of 73 to 75 East Street (The Siege House) Grade II* Good house of early C16 timber construction some of the timber work outstanding. Extensively restored in 1905 after it had been acquired (1902) by E Marriage & Son Ltd, owners of the adjoining mill property. They had all the external plaster stripped and this revealed many bullet holes in the timbers of the west side and south front, dating from the time of the Siege of Colchester in 1648. The house is of L-shaped plan and the upper storey projects on the west side and south front with a heavy diagonal carved corner post. The East part of the moulded bressumer is original and the upper storey of this part of the building has an original window with diamond shaped mullions. On the west side is an original shaft with moulded capital supporting a curved bracket. The interior has a number of original features- moulded ceiling beams, panelling and remains of original roof construction. <1>
LIST: Department of the Environment. 1971. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Borough of Colchester (Essex).
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC123The Siege House, East Street, Colchester (Building)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2016 4:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.