The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1935 the site of the restaurant, once Scott's and later Pallant's, which looked straight down the High Street, was cleared and a new building erected for the Prudential Insurance Society. Mr Rudsdale noted 'a fairly uniform burnt layer over the whole site ...much burnt daub'. <1> Finds included a few sherds of Thetford-type ware.
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. No 155, page 146.
Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1981. CAR 1: Aspects of Anglo-Saxon and Norman Colchester. 1. p39.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2016 5:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.