The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Henry Laver records that 'In cutting the drain in Rawstorn Road in 1884 the workmen cut through considerable remains, and also in the road at the back of Mr Brightwell's playground (in Manor Road) but here only about 9" thick of the foundation remained'. The remains are thought to be that of a Roman Road. Also 'In the playground of the Grammar School is a considerable depth of stones, and it was also cut through opposite the fourth house on the left in Beverley Road, and close to this spot Mr G. Joslin discovered his well known tombstone'. <1><2>
Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1889. Vol. 3 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. III. p126-7.
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. page 3.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC475Road between fortress/town and main Colchester to London Road (Monument)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2016 11:48AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.