The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In December 1929 a shaft was sunk at each end of the front of the shop next but one south of the arcade, on the east side of Wyre Street. At about 2ft 6" from the surface in the south shaft lay a red tessellated pavement, with a layer of charcoal less than an inch thick lying upon it; above this lay clay, presumably from the walls of the building. Upon the clay, reaching to within 8" of the modern pavement, was an old rubble wall, 1ft wide, on which the foundation of the present house was laid. The bed of the Roman pavement was only 4" thick and lay on a bed of clay, which was excavated to 10" deep, but its full depth is not known. In the north shaft the pavement was missing, but the line of charcoal, now slightly thicker, continued at the same level. <1><2>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 38, No 194, page 214.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC1036Roman tessellated pavement, Long Wyre Street, Colchester (Element)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2016 12:27PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.