The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
In 1934 the former site of Mumford's Works was cleared for a car park, and with the co-op of H.M. Ministry of Works the Museum was able to cut some exploratory trenches in the area. These were made in the eastern half of it and were almost without result, for it was found that the Roman surface lay nearly 9ft deep, and the only find of interest was a red tessellated pavement, the site was used for the new library. <1> DUPLICATE RECORD OF ECC815
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 35, No 101, page 209.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Jan 20 2016 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.