The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Morant records the digging out of the Castle Vaults in 1683 'These fine spacios vaults were full of sand, on which the arches were turned. The sand was taken out at Considerable expense by John Weeley, who was endeavouring to pull the Castle down; and to carry off the sand he cut a cart way through the foundation wall near the NE corner, where the wall is thirty feet thickness'.<1>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. p162.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2016 8:05AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.