The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Survey by Pevsner 'St Nicholas, High Street (Demolished in 1955. The plate is now in the Castle Museum and a tablet of c1500 in All Saints Church, Colchester) Essentially the work of Sir George Gilbert Scot, 1875-6 and a proud work, in this prominent position right in the centre of Colchester. Scott found a small and humble church and made it serve his more ambitious purposes. The ground floor, a N tower, is Perp; so are the N aisle (or chapel) W of it, and the present N aisle. Originally they formed nave and chancel. The date of these parts is C14, see the quatrefoil piers. Scott carried on, quite tactfully as usual, and without much personality or grit. REREDOS. By Temple Moore, c1925.-PULPIT and LECTERN, 1893 to Scott's design. ORGAN CASE. By Oldrid Scott.-PAINTINGS. Four Evangelists, Flemish, mid C17; Abraham and the Angels. By G.S.Marucelli, 1679 (?).-PLATE. Ornamented Cup 1569; Paten 1569; Elizabethan Cup with band of ornament; large cup on baluster stem and Paten probably of 1667; Paten on foot of 1708. <1>
Serial: Pevsner, Nikolaus. The Buildings of England: Essex. p134.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC406St Nicholas' Church, High Street, Colchester (demolished) (Monument)
Record last edited
Apr 12 2016 1:21PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.