The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Survey by Pevsner 'St John's Green (Now St John Ambulance depot). Small; nave with chancel and N chapel. The W tower of timber, weather boarded, as well as the present interior of the nave are 1819. Thin N and S arcade shafts and W gallery. Flat ceiling. The N windows however, with Perp tracery all straightened out, may well be the posthumous Gothic of the C17, as the Royal Commission suggests. Of 1907 (Sir A. Blomfield & Son) the brick N and S chancel arcades and the s chapel. But the brick S porch is original early C16 work. In the chancel E of the arcade a C13 lancet window has been discovered. N chapel of c1500- DOOR, N doorway. C14 with rich tracery.- PALL. Of the Lucas family, dated 1628. Purple velvet with original embroidery; square.<1>
Note that this description was updated in Bettley & Pevsner 2007.<2>
Serial: Pevsner, Nikolaus. The Buildings of England: Essex. p132.
Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.265.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.