The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
'All Saints, High Street. (Now used as a Natural History Museum, the plate is in the Castle Museum) In an impressive position, facing the modern opening towards the castle. Little of interest, except the fine W tower of flint, with diagonal buttresses and flint and ashlar decoration of the battlements. Big three-light bell-openings. The rest mostly 1855-9. C15 the pier between chancel and N chapel- of the familiar four shafts-and-four-hollows section. Double-chamfered arches. STAINED GLASS. The N windows pretty, no doubt of c1861, the W window by Kempe, 1905. -PLATE. Early C17 cup on baluster stem; large Cup and small Paten of 1714; Flagon of 1777. - MONUMENT. Stone tablet with crocketed ogee top and indents of brasses; c1500. Transferred from St Nicholas.<1>
Note that this description was updated in Bettley & Pevsner 2007.<2>
Serial: Pevsner, Nikolaus. The Buildings of England: Essex. p132.
Monograph: Bettley, James and Pevsner, Nikolaus. 2007. The buildings of England: Essex. p.263.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC400Church of All Saints, High Street, Colchester (Building)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2016 4:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.