The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Following the excavation of the 'Mithraeum' in 1929 a small amount of levelling was done in the meadow, and the remains of Roman walling were struck just below the surface. A fragment running approximately N-S was nearly 9ft long and 18in wide; three courses of septaria remained. On the east side of this another wall had abutted with a straight joint, but only about 18in of it remained. The thickness and material were the same. These walls stood in gravely soil, perhaps the subsoil.<1>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 15, No 119b, page 114.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC891Roman wall, Castle Park near 'Mithraeum', Colchester (Element)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2016 8:44AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.