Site Event/Activity record ECC1872 - Documentary record for St Thomas's Chapel, Colchester, 1220
St Thomas's Chapel, St. John's Green, Colchester
TL 99673 24800 (point)
Non Parish Area
COLCHESTER, COLCHESTER, ESSEX
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
A chapel of St. Thomas outside the walls was recorded before 1238, probably c.1220, contradicting the 14th century tradition that it had been the Jewish council chamber and was consecrated by Abbot William of St John's in 1251. The chapel, on St. John's Green, was recorded in 1476, and presumably survived until the Dissolution; its site was waste ground in 1581. <1><2>
Monograph: Moore, S. A.. 1897. Cartulariium Monasterii Sancti Johannis Baptiste de Colecestria. Vol 2 p597.
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
MCC424St Thomas's Chapel, St John's Green, Colchester (Monument)
Record last edited
Feb 9 2016 1:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.