The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Wheeler and Laver record a drain arch, 'At N.E. corner of Maidenburgh Street adjoining the site of North wall of the town, The south wall of the cellar of the house incorporates a piece of Roman brick walling containing an arch, now blocked. The wall and arch are now buried below the springing of the latter, but the wall is still visible to a height of 6ft and a similar breadth from E to W. The work is good and probably not later than the second century AD.' <1><2>
Article in serial: Wheeler, R. E. M. and Laver, P. G.. 1919. Roman Colchester. J.R.S. Volume IX page 139. No 29, p.161.
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. Insula 5, No 29, p.80.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Record last edited
Sep 11 2018 8:57AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.