The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
A watching brief was held during the construction of a rear extension in the back yard of No 42 St John's Street. Building work revealed a section of the town wall and excavation of two trenches led to the discovery of quantities of medieval and post-medieval pottery. One trench sited by the rear door was dug to a depth of 2.0 m below ground level revealing black topsoil which "was presumably the north edge of the town ditch". A lens of burnt clay or daub was noted at 1.2m depth.<1>
Monograph: Crummy, Philip. 1992. CAR 6: Excavations at Culver Street, the Gilberd School, and other sites in Colchester 1971-85. 6. p.1047.
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
MCC659Roman defensive ditch of the Roman Colonia, Colchester (Monument)
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.