The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Inhumation burials in Cedar Road, west of St John's Green.<1> In September 1930 a skeleton was found on the south side of Cedars Road, immediately south of the Salvation army Barracks. It was lying north-east at a depth of three and a half feet. A bronze bracelet was found on the left wrist. The thighs were wide apart and the legs were crossed above the ankles. An iron nail, a piece of iron chain and some small fragments of pottery were discovered in the filling of the grave, and the soil under the bones showed signs of decayed wood, but it was impossible to determine whether a coffin had been used. A second skeleton, apparently that of a well built man was also found, a few feet north of the first one, lying roughly east to west. The most interesting feature was that the body appeared to have been decapitated, and then thrown into the grave on the right side, in a crouching position, the skull placed in the region of the pelvis. The grave filling contained merely a few scraps of pottery and three iron nails. A third skeleton was uncovered a few inches away from the above. Only the skull and the two humeri were obtained, as the other bones, presumably , lie under the footpath of Cedars Road.<2><3><4><5>
Monograph: Hull, M. Rex. 1958. Roman Colchester: Reports of the Research Committee of the Society of Antiquaries of London. No. XX. page 294, No 120.
Serial: The Essex Society for Archaeology and History. 1933. Vol. 20 (New Series) Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society. Vol. XX. page 289.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.