1. IPSWICH ROAD 995 TM 02 NW SP/19/636 Church of St John (Church of England) II 2. Church of St John, 1864, by Arthur Blomfield. Of red and gault brick with stone dressings and peg tile gabled roofs. High Victorian Gothic "Early" details consists of nave, chancel and porch/northern with hipped roofs and circular bell turret with conical roof. Chancel has straight east end and is slightly narrower than nave. Internally the walls are of red and gault brick with chancel and tower arches of two orders. Chancel and tower arches have detached ringed purbeck marble shafts with 'wind blown' foliated capitals. Nave roof has double side purlins supported on principal rafters with saldive bracing enclosing sexfoils. Drum shaped font on central cylindrical shaft with eight detached peripheral shafts of polished marble. Arabesques of pitch inlay on drum.
Listing NGR: TM0150627687
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.